Porcelain veneers are thin, custom-made shells that are bonded to the front of teeth to improve their appearance. They are made of a strong, durable material that is similar to the enamel of natural teeth.
Benefits of porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers offer a number of benefits, including:
- Improved appearance: Veneers can be used to correct a variety of cosmetic problems, such as:
- Discolored teeth: Veneers can be used to cover stains caused by aging, smoking, or medications.
- Misaligned teeth: Veneers can be used to straighten or align teeth.
- Crooked teeth: Veneers can be used to close gaps between teeth.
- Chipped or broken teeth: Veneers can be used to repair chipped or broken teeth.
- Strength and durability: Veneers are made of a strong, durable material that can withstand everyday wear and tear.
- Long-lasting: Veneers can last for many years with proper care.
Types of porcelain veneers
There are two main types of porcelain veneers:
- Direct veneers: These veneers are made in one visit to the dentist. The dentist will prepare the teeth and then apply the veneers directly to the teeth.
- Indirect veneers: These veneers are made in a dental lab. The dentist will prepare the teeth and then take impressions of the teeth. The impressions are sent to a dental lab, where the veneers are made. The veneers are then bonded to the teeth in a second visit to the dentist.
Cost of porcelain veneers
The cost of porcelain veneers varies depending on the number of veneers needed, the type of veneers, and the dentist’s fees. In general, porcelain veneers cost between $500 and $2,000 per tooth.
Risks of porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers are a safe and effective procedure, but there are some risks associated with them, including:
- Infection: There is a small risk of infection at the site where the veneers are bonded to the teeth.
- Sensitivity: Some people may experience sensitivity to hot or cold foods or drinks after having porcelain veneers.
- Fracture: Veneers can fracture if they are hit or chipped.
Porcelain veneers are a popular option for improving the appearance of teeth. They are strong, durable, and can last for many years.