Zirconium crowns are tooth-shaped coverings that are bonded to the remaining tooth structure. They are made from a ceramic material called zirconium dioxide, which is known for its strength, durability, and biocompatibility. Zirconium crowns are available in a variety of shades to match the natural color of the patient’s teeth.
The process of getting zirconia crowns is relatively simple and can be completed in two visits to the dentist.
- The dentist will examine the tooth that needs to be restored and determine if zirconia crowns are the best option.
- The dentist will then prepare the tooth by removing decay and shaping it to fit the crown.
- An impression of the tooth will be taken and sent to a dental laboratory.
- The laboratory will create the crown from the impression and send it back to the dentist for placement.
- The dentist will cement the crown to the tooth using a special adhesive.
- The dentist will check the fit and adjust the crown as needed.
Benefits of zirconia crowns
Zirconium crowns offer a number of benefits over other types of dental restorations, including:
- Strength and durability: Zirconium crowns are stronger than metal crowns, making them less likely to chip or crack. They are also more durable than porcelain crowns, which can become stained or chipped over time.
- Biocompatibility: Zirconium is a biocompatible material, meaning that it is well-tolerated by the body. This makes it a good choice for patients with metal allergies or other sensitivities.
- Natural appearance: Zirconium crowns are available in a variety of shades to match the natural color of the patient’s teeth. This helps to create a more natural-looking smile.
- Longevity: Zirconium crowns can last for many years with proper care.
Who is a good candidate for zirconia crowns?
Zirconium crowns are a good choice for patients with the following conditions:
- Damaged or decayed teeth
- Teeth that need to be strengthened or supported
- Teeth that need to be restored for aesthetic reasons
- Patients with metal allergies or other sensitivities
Tips for getting zirconia crowns
- Do your research: Before you decide to get zirconia crowns, it is important to do your research and compare prices from different dentists.
- Ask questions: Don’t be afraid to ask your dentist questions about the procedure and what to expect.
- Follow the dentist’s instructions: It is important to follow the dentist’s instructions for proper care after the procedure.
Zirconium crowns are a safe and effective way to restore damaged or decayed teeth. They are strong, durable, and biocompatible, making them a good choice for patients who want a long-lasting and natural-looking restoration.